Ms Susan Hanson is Research Fellow within Engineering and Physical Sciences at the University of Southampton.
Susan is a member of the Southampton Marine and Maritime Institute (SMMI) and has also been a member of the Tyndall Centre for Climate Change Research. Prior to this she was based in the Flood Hazard Research Centre, at Middlesex University.
Her research has coverd a range of climate related topics but her main area of interest is coastal adaptation to change.Recent topics have covered:
- Coastal implications of climate change: impacts (physical and economic), vulnerability and adaptive and management responses;
- The development of sea-level scenarios for adaptation planning;
- Coastal systems anaylsis: physical and societal aspects;
- Large-scale coastal morphological behaviour, including flooding and erosion.
Susan is currently working as part of the DECCMA (DEltas, vulnerability & Climate Change: Migration & Adaptation) project which is analysing the impacts of climate change and other environmental drivers across contrasting deltas in Africa and Asia.
Previous projects include:
- EPSRC ‘Shipping in Changing Climates‘ project
- exposure estimates for large port cities to climate extremes carried out with the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD)
- Department of Energy and Climate Change’s AVOID programme
- the global DIVA (Dynamic Interactive Vulnerability Assessment) database
- EC funded THESEUS project which is looking at integrated coastal zone management with an emphasis on coastal risk assessment and mitigatio;
- the costs of adaptation to sea-level rise for the World and Asian Development Banks
- INTERREG IIIB funded project BRANCH (Biodiversity Requires Adaptation in Northwest Europe under a Changing climate), which investigated the impacts of sea-level rise on designated habitats on the South coast of the UK;
- The Tyndall Coastal Simulator.
- CIRCE (Climate change and Impact Research: the Mediterranean Environment) looking at the impacts of sea-level rise;
- PESETA (Projection of Economic impacts of climate change in Sectors of the European Union based on boTtom-up Analysis) projects;