The Sustainable Energy Research Group has a wide range of facilities including:
Building Integrated PV Arrays
- A fully instrumented and configurable building-integrated monocrystalline PV array of 7.2 kWp covering the south facade of Building 2 at the University of Southampton.
- Facility for studies on multiple grid connected central and string inverters for analysis of mismatch losses in PV arrays including a range of inverters from 700 W to 5 kW.
- Semi-transparent PV laminates in an array of 12.5 kWp on the atrium of the Professional Services Building at the University of Southampton.
Photovoltaic Test Facilities
- A 460 Wp, grid connected, fully instrumented and configurable roof tile mono-crystalline array.
- A range of measuring systems available for testing reliability and performance of stand-alone photovoltaic systems.
Holographic Optical Element Test Facade
- Test facade for performance analysis of light directing Holographic Optical Elements (HOE) elements.
Accelerated Lifetime Testing Rig for Electric Connectors
- Life time testing rig for electrical reliability of connectors, including PV connectors.
Wave, Tidal and Hydropower Facilities
- 8 m and 12.5 m wave flumes with glass sides and floor, wavemakers with active absorption.
- 21 m and 14 m tilting open channels, both with provision for studying sediment transport.
- Water wheel test tank.
Marine Current Energy Converters
- Developed testing procedures and modelling systems for Marine Current Energy Converters.
- Prototypes of Marine Current Energy Converters.
- Various simulation tools for photovoltaic and solar thermal analysis as well as for system design. These tools are used to analyse PV performance.
- Simulation tools for investigating aspects of thermal performance and lighting in the built environment.
- Performance and power simulation facilities for Marine Current Energy Converters.
- Computer-based system for modelling tidal currents.
- In-house micro-wind assessment tool.
- High resolution thermal imaging equipment.
- Equipment for assessing indoor lighting performance.
- High speed velocity and turbulence measurement equipment for use in water circulation tanks.
- Various environmental data analysis and data logging systems for the assessment of the indoor environment.
Climate Change Weather File Generation Tools
- Tools compiled in house for generating UK climate change weather files for building performance simulation programs.
- Tool compiled in house for generating world-wide climate change weather files for building performance simulation programs.